Trends of Consumer Purchase Behavior During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Nigeria

Nyitor Alexander Shenge, Fiyinfunjah Adenike Dosunmu, Timilehin Fashola

Abstract


Worldwide, the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting the patterns of consumer purchase behavior. In this paper, trends in the purchase behavior of Nigerian consumers were investigated. Descriptive research design was adopted and data were gathered from 112 online respondents across different states in Nigeria. More of the respondents 70 (62.5%) indicated to be males, while the other 42 (37.5%) were females. Also, more of the respondents 40 (35.7%) were professionals in their line of work, 33 (29.5%) render services, 20 (17.9%) were business owners, 11 (9.8%) were students, 2 (1.8%) were home makers, an individual (0.9%) indicated to be retired, while the other 5 (4.5%) were into other occupations outside the listed ones. Findings revealed that when combined, age, family income, educational qualification, family size (adult & children) and number of employed family members predicted consumer purchase behaviour [R = .37; R2 = .14; F (6, 105) = 2.82; P<.05]. Collectively, age, family income, educational qualification, family size (adult & children) and number of employed family members accounted for about 14% variance in consumer purchase behaviour. However, only family size in terms of children independently predicted consumer purchase behaviour (β = .21; t = 2.10; P<.05). Recommendations were made based on the findings of the study.

Key words: Consumer purchase behavior, COVID-19 pandemic, Nigeria


Full Text:

PDF

References


Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 50(2), 179–211.

Charlebois, S. (2020, March 26). Why COVID-19 will change Canadian grocery industry forever: Expert. Retail Insider. (https://www.retail-insider.com).

Cheung, C. M. K., Xiao, B. S., & Liu, I. L. B. (2014). Do actions speak louder than voices? The signaling role of social information cues in influencing consumer purchase decisions. Decision Support Systems, 65, 50-58.

Cronin, J., Brady M.K & Hult T.M., (2000). Assessing the Effects of Quality, Value, and Customer Satisfaction on Consumer Behavioral Intentions in Service Environments. Journal of Retailing, 76, 193-218.

de Barnier, V., Rodina, I., & Valette-Florence, P. (2006). Which luxury perceptions affect most consumer purchase behavior? A cross cultural exploratory study in France, the United Kingdom and Russia. Proceedings des Congrés Paris-Venise des Tendences Marketing, 8, 7.

Hashem, T.N., (2020). Examining the Influence of COVID-19 Pandemic in Changing Consumer’s orientation towards E-shopping. Modern Applied Science, 14, 59-76.

Ivankova, N., Creswell J. & Stick S., (2006). Using Mixed-Methods Sequential Explanatory Design: From Theory to Practice. Fields Methods, 18, 3-20.

Jahangir, A., (2020). Buying Behavior Under Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Pandemic Situation: A Online Perspective Case in Bangladeshi Shoppers. Chinese Business Review, 19, 82-90.

Kuo, Y., Wu C. & Deng W., (2009). The relationships among service quality, perceived value, customer satisfaction, and post-purchase intention in mobile value-added services. Computers in Human Behaviour, 25, 887-896.

Loxton, M., Truskett R., Scarff B., Sindone L., Baldry G. & Zhao Y., (2020). Consumer Behaviour during Crises: Preliminary Research on How Coronavirus Has Manifested Consumer Panic Buying, Herd Mentality, Changing Discretionary Spending and the Role of the Media in Influencing Behaviour. Journal of Risk & Financial Management, 13, 1-21.

Madhavan, M., (2015). Consumer buying behaviour: An overview of theory and models. St. Theresa Journal of Humanities & Social Sciences, 1, 74 - 112.

Parthak, G. & Warpade S., (2020). Impact of lockdown due to COVID-19 on consumer behaviour while selecting retailer for essential goods. Zeichen Journal, 6, 282-289.

Sucharita, D., (2020). Impact of COVID-19 on consumer purchase behaviour in retail sector. UGC Care Journal, 31, 103-115.

Yasav, S. (2015). The impact of digital technology on consumer purchase behavior. The Journal of Financial Perspectives: FinTech, 3(3), 1-10.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.